Archie Battersbee, boy at heart of U.K. court battle, dies after life support ends

A 12-year-old boy who had been in a coma for four months and whose family had been fighting to keep him alive died on Saturday at a hospital in London.

Hollie Dance, Archie Battersbee's mother, said that he died at 12:15 p.m., about two hours after the hospital stopped giving him care.

Both the family's request to keep Archie in the hospital longer and a request to move him to a hospice were denied by British courts,

which said that neither move was in the best interests of the child. Dance said as she stood outside the hospital and cried, "I'm the proudest mom in the world."

"He was such a cute little boy, and he fought to the end." The court case is the latest in a long line of high-profile British cases in which parents and doctors have fought over who knows more about a child's medical care.

This has started a discussion about whether there are better ways to settle these kinds of disagreements than in court. On April 7, Archie was found dead at home with a rope around his head.

His parents think that he might have been taking part in a bad online challenge. Soon after the accident, doctors decided that Archie was brain-stem dead and tried to stop all of the treatments that kept him alive,

such as artificial breathing, medicine to control his body's functions, and round-the-clock nursing care. But Archie's family said they shouldn't give up hope

because he had shown signs of life and wouldn't have wanted them to. The disagreement led to weeks of court battles as Archie's parents tried to force the hospital to keep giving him treatments that kept him alive.

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital said he had no chance of getting better, so he should be allowed to die. After a number of courts decided that letting Archie die was in his best interest,

his family asked for permission to move him to a hospice. The hospital said that Archie's health was so bad that moving him would hasten his death.